Chapel de Seigne

⑦ Chapel de Seigne
The construction of this funerary chapel, the only one of its kind in France, began in the years 1520-1530.


To go to stage ⑧ → Continue on avenue André Delaunay, then avenue du 11 Novembre, in the extension. Just after Intermarché, on the right a sign reminds you of the crossing of the demarcation line at Bléré. This panel is located at the entrance to the path leading to the cemetery.


Located today in the Place de la Republique Square, at the end of the eighteenth century it stood in the middle of the graves of Bléré ‘Grand Cimetiere’ which was closed in 1840.

This exceptional listed chapel – listed in 1875 – was built to house the graves of Guillaume de Seigne, Lord of the Bois-Ramé and Bois-Pataud lands in Bléré, and his wife Claudine Fortier. He died in 1526. From a simple horseman he became artillery treasurer
and general tax collector under Louis XII and Francois I.

© Photo : Alphonse Goubert

The building of the chapel, undoubtedly initiated by Guillaume himself, was around 1520 to 1530. The builders are unknown but Italian influence is visible. The semi-circular arch door, richly decorated, is a perfect illustration of a Val de Loire renaissance architectural model.

The details showing guns, flames and bullets remind us of Guillaume de Seigne’s function.

© Photo : Patrick Goetgheluck

Where was this chapel first located ?
1Charles Bidault square and the church of St Christophe 13The Aigremonts mill
2Le Belvedere 14La Coursicauderie
3The Foundry 15A vine lodge
4The Bellevue bank and the bridge over the Cher 16Le Grand-Logis
5Les Crespières 17Bois-Ramé
6The Cher and its needle dams 18The Monks’ house
7Chapel de Seigne 19Paul Racault space
8The cooperative and the demarcation line 20Trade and Cooperative Diary Industry
9The cemetery and its noteworthy tombs 21The lime kilns
10Bois-Pataud 22La Grisolette
11Fief Gentil and the Culoison mill 23The Chateau of Fontenay and the house called ‘du passeur’
12La Courtille wash house 24Les Grandes-Fontaines