The Monks’ house

⑱ The Monks’ house
This building was bought in 1688 by the monastery of La Chartreuse du Liget, near Loches. It then underwent many transformations.


To go to stage ⑲ → Follow the rue Paul-Louis Courier, and now you are in front of L’Espace Paul Racault.


The building, much reworked, at 13 rue Paul-Louis Courier was bought in 1688 by the monks from the Chartreuse du Liget near Loches. Among their constructions was a chapel built in the northern garden. At the time of the Revolution, these properties were sold and the Bullot family became owners. Maître Haubois, a solicitor from Bléré, bought the property in 1858 and rebuilt the house. But these properties were mortgaged and the Bullot/Suzor family reclaimed possession until December 1868 at which time it became the property of Adolphe Destouches, a public works builder. On 20 June 1869, the Maison des Chartreux was returned to Pauline Bullot, wife of Etienne Pasquier. They kept the house until the First World War when it became the property of the Barillé family, after which, in the second half of the 20th century, it belonged to the insurance agent Paul Dumas.
The building today is a 19th century construction with its outbuildings, its cart access and its small roadside entrance ; the owner is the Town.

© Photo : Régine Malveau

Who owned the monk’s house in 1688 ?
1Charles Bidault square and the church of St Christophe 13The Aigremonts mill
2Le Belvedere 14La Coursicauderie
3The Foundry 15A vine lodge
4The Bellevue bank and the bridge over the Cher 16Le Grand-Logis
5Les Crespières 17Bois-Ramé
6The Cher and its needle dams 18The Monks’ house
7Chapel de Seigne 19Paul Racault space
8The cooperative and the demarcation line 20Trade and Cooperative Diary Industry
9The cemetery and its noteworthy tombs 21The lime kilns
10Bois-Pataud 22La Grisolette
11Fief Gentil and the Culoison mill 23The Chateau of Fontenay and the house called ‘du passeur’
12La Courtille wash house 24Les Grandes-Fontaines